Laverpa, our trout day waters with a big reputation, less than 10 mins from the Dullstroom village centre.
- These trout day waters consists of three, crystal clear, well-stocked dams just 7km’s out of Dullstroom. We have offered fishing on these iconic waters for over 20 years now. The dams are all around 1ha with good structure, consisting of channels, reed and weed beds, banks and drop-offs, with a productive inlet bay in each. The fishing is rewarding, with some bigger fish (5-7lb) landed at times. While this is not our trophy dam our best rainbow was a cock fish measuring 79 cm. In addition to that several browns of over 8 pounds have been landed and safely released. Dry-fly fishing enthusiasts will relish the opportunity to target trout exclusively on this technique. A slight ripple from wind provides the perfect transitionary structure for cruising trout willing to pick off a stray terrestrial. More so Laverpa has developed a reputation in the past few years for having terrific midday dry fly eats.
Tackle and Tactics for Monster Trout
- Long leaders and smaller flies are recommended for the clear water, and a stealthy approach will give you the advantage. A dry-and-dropper is exceptionally effective in all of the dams. A large, buoyant dry fly with a small midge or nymph suspended underneath will elicit takes from even the most skittish trophy trout.
How it works
- The venue opens at 7am and closes at 5pm.
- Fishing is strictly Catch and Release, places limited to 8 anglers daily.
- Booking at the Mavungana Flyfishing centre is essential. A key to the farm is given once a cash key deposit is taken for the day. High rise and 4 wheel drive vehicles are not required to access this lovely property.
- Blog Summer stillwater tips
- Guides Corner One line to rule them all
- Social Media Instagram Inspiration