Our invite-only charity flyfishing events in aid of the Anti-Poaching Unit in the Kruger National Park, and fish tagging and research on the Orange river and Pongola dam. Entrants get to fish private waters and stand to win a host of trips and gear.
- Everyone is aware of the wholesale slaughter of our rhino population. Nowhere in the country is this issue of illegal poaching worse than in our flagship Kruger National Park.
- With growing human populations, our favourite sport fish are under increasing pressure from habitat degradation, pollution, and illegal gill netting.
THE AIM OF THE EVENT
- Half the funds raised will go directly to the Anti-Poaching unit in the KNP out of Skukuza. Our friend Bruce Leslie from special operations is constantly in the field and gives us a wish list each year. We have contributed to a fully trained Malinois Shepard tracker dog, night vision gear, trauma kits and webbing. This goes directly into the hands of the rangers on the ground.
- The other half of the funds raised from the event go to the fish-tagging and research project we are running in conjunction with the University of Mpumalanga to monitor and protect fish populations on Pongola Dam and the Lower Orange River. (a small insight into the project here: https://themissionflymag.com/2022/08/23/science-bru-tagging-tigerfish-in-sa-waters/)
- Fishing will be two sessions on two private Dullstroom Trout properties. Jonathan and Sarah Boulton, and Mavungana Flyfishing will present entrants with the fly for the day. It will be tied with the event’s naming sponsor in mind and pre-tested by Mavungana Flyfishing guides so as to ensure its fish catching abilities. If you are unfortunate enough to lose your fly, you will have the opportunity to “buy back in”.
- Financials are independently audited after each event, and no event or management fees are taken.
- Limited to 40 invited anglers. Entirely Catch and Release, overseen, guided and marshalled by Mavungana Flyfishing Guides. No one cares how many fish are caught the winner is the angler lucky enough to land the single longest fish. Measured from the nose to the fork of the tail. The winner will be announced at a formal gala prize giving dinner on the Saturday night along with an array of spot and runner up prizes and auction.
THE PRIZE & AUCTION ITEMS
- The first prize is a fully inclusive trip to a dream destination to be announced. Other prizes and auction items include local trips, lodge stays, collectable art, and top end products from the most renowned local and international flyfishing brands.
Get a heads-up on exciting trips, in-store specials and other fishing news.