“Living the dream” and indeed it is - working in the flyfishing industry is something many, many people all around the world want to do, but getting that job without the necessary experience is incredibly hard - where do you start?
Mavungana Flyfishing (MF) runs a 12 month course where participants will be exposed to some of the most important and exciting aspects of the South African flyfishing industry, exposing them to a range of experiences that will stand them in great stead for any flyfishing position anywhere in the world.
THE COURSE INCLUDES;
- Casting instruction and guiding on our private Trout waters around Dullstroom.
- Trout habitat enhancement and fishery management work on our private MF trout waters in Dullstroom.
- Get to fish and work experience behind the scenes on our renowned fisheries in Clarens on the Ash River, Tigerfish on Pongola dam, and Yellowfish on the Lower Orange River, piloting power boats and white water rafts respectively.
- Fish under expert guidance Sterkfontein dam, The Vaal river, the Western Cape streams, and the famous Breede River.
- Complete an intense week-long course in the Kruger Park, learning flora and fauna ID, tracking, walking with dangerous game, and off-road driving.
- Retail experience: in both our Joburg and Dullstroom stores, dealing with the widest range of brands and set up gear for small stream trout to blue water sailfish, both direct with customers on the floor and online.
- Fytying: perfect size 18 emergers for trout to 4/0 Andino deceivers for Golden Dorado under the instruction of the in-house MF fly tyers.
- Training in digital photography and filming with a DSLR and state-of-the-art drone, and the use of this material in social media and marketing.
- Inland skippers and basic medical aid will also be completed.
The MF Guide's Course is limited to 4 students a year, full payment is taken before the course commences, and the course does not run on a set timetable. All accommodation is supplied and transport to and from all the various experiences is supplied. Students must have their own transport.
Get a heads-up on exciting trips, in-store specials and other fishing news.